Monday, August 23, 2010

walking at Meiji

"Entering The Gate,
Hardness wilts, spine reverts,
As trees walk at Meiji.
Leaving what is behind,
Not knowing how, step by step
Breathing moves my feet."


Yesterday, Saturday 5th June, I returned to Australia after one month in Japan.
without knowing where to start, I want to share some thoughts about this time. this last month has affected me deeply in many ways.
not only did I meet my dearest Akiko and have my heart brought back to life. I also found a place, which supports a peaceful manner of living, in which I can more appropriately express my heart and mind. where careful action and considerate relations are accepted as an integral part of a culture, allowing people to look after to themselves and others in a more heartfelt sense than I am used to.
the gratitude and respect I have for Akiko is deep. she has helped me bring forth aspects of myself which I had struggled to manifest on my own. by her acceptance and calm character, I felt understood, seen as I am, and appreciated. her kindness has healed my broken heart. I realized how much admiration, love, inspiration, respect, and attraction I can find, and have for another person. she is, what I admire in people.
it would be better suited for me to show my gratitude for her in other ways besides on this blog. as I sit now, publishing the above poem on this blog, I recall the time, the feeling of being in Japan and walking at Meiji Jingu, writing this poem, and feeling relief as I fell in love with a person and a place. 

to publish this poem here, without a few sentences to express my appreciation and respect for Akiko would be unjust. 有り難う御座います Thank you very much.

I wrote this poem, amongst the trees, on the precious ground at Meiji Jingu (Meiji Shrine), in Harajuku, Tokyo. Meiji is a place of worship and an expression of respect by the followers of Shinto, for the earth and for all people. in fact, Meiji is one of many Jinja Shinto, Shrines of Shinto, where the spirit of Kami is believed to dwell. Kami is the deity of Shinto, a figure of life-giving power. basically, Kami is explained as "whatever seems strikingly impressive, possessing the quality of excellence and virtue, and inspires a feeling of awe" is called "Kumi."
The tall old trees, covering the earth, the wide gravel paths, streams, ponds, the caretakers, and of course the shrine itself, do impress and arouse admiration. all-together, Meiji stands as a magnificent representative of our mother earth, surrounded by a huge, over-populated, and busy Tokyo.
in my opinion, the power and magnitude of Tokyo, kneels under the presence of Meiji. when I first entered the main gate and set foot on the ground at Meiji, with a rabbit (Akiko), I immediately found the air was cool and comforting, the usual tension of my body subsided, and I could feel  we were in a sacred place. before learning about Shinto, and came to terms with the order of Jinja, and the Shinto faith, I could feel there was something special about Meiji. I was in awe and impressed not only by the massive gates and the shine itself, but by the land, the trees, the streams. I learned recently that the streams that run through the grounds flow from a very old well. the water comes up, without the aid of a pump, naturally, from underground channels of rain water. which is impressive. 
Meiji Jingu alone, is more than enough reason for me to believe that I could actually enjoy living in Tokyo. while not being the first reason, I acknowledge how I was affected by simply being there, as I experienced affluent health and strengthening of spirit, in one month with Akiko, in Japan.

I wrote the poem at Meiji Jingu, as I visited Meiji for the second time, this time I was alone. I was inspired by Kumi and the immediate intimacy of nature as I walked alone.  With each step I found, the hold of my ego, the hardness of my character, dissolve. As I let go, allowing the air to fill my lungs, I knew, it was not me who was breathing, it was a function of the intimacy between this body and nature. Letting go, as I walked, my ego attempted to take control, as it usually does, but by the force of the good energy of the trees and soul of Meiji. I maintained the connection and was able to allow it to transform me for some time. I could observe the contrast between myself, my ego, and the natural order of a body given back to, and owned by nature. The tight confines of an ego and the open acceptance of the natural world. 
There were many people, also walking there. The old trees, the bodies in motion, the wind, everything moved with me, entered me, gave breath to me and I loved them. I saw, perhaps to a small degree, how my life depends on everything. My feet moved by the force of what was given to me, I felt each step, not remembering a single thing.
I wish I could have stayed there with Akiko in Japan. To dissolve, and teach my ego how it can exist peacefully, in communion with the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment