Monday, August 23, 2010

new mind, old mind


as I sit upright, belly open and relaxed, accepting each breath, each thought, sensation. my mind is refreshed in each moment of attention. as my body takes the form of acceptance, I begin to feel more alive, yet unlike myself. an old mind, it's decaying defenses, give way to something primordial. something beyond what I can see and feel is unearthed, and I so wish to keep digging.

as a relatively young meditator (young in experience, not in age) I find one of the biggest challenges in my practice, my life, is maintaining a freshness, a keen, energetic, and open mind while I am busy in the world of action. quite often I feel drowsy, lethargic, tense. this is most likely a defensive reaction to the world around me. I am a very shy person. I can sense that my reaction is my conditioning, a relic from my younger years.

as I sit on the train, I take an upright posture, and make a zendo.
the world outside distracts my eye, my mind, my body. I return to my breath again and again. at times, the firm, soft support of my spine gives way and bends slightly under the weight of my ego. I drift back and forth between unity and separation, new and old, judgement and acceptance, such are the tides of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment